Wednesday, February 24, 2010























Billy Joel wrote the song Souvenir for his Streetlife Serenade album. Listen to the song by clicking Billy Joel at the bottom of blog.
A picture postcard
a folded stub
a program from a play
file away a photograph from your holiday.
And your mementos will turn to dust
but that's the price you pay
for every year's a souvenir
that slowly fades away.
Every year's a souvenir
that slowly fades away.
*********************************************************************************

What do you think Billy Joel means by "every year's a souvenir, that slowly fades away."?

What year is your favorite souvenir, and why?

*********************************************************************************
Above are some photographs from my vacations.

What details can you tell me about the picture?

Write a story based upon the four pictures above. Highlight all descriptive words in blue.

*********************************************************************************
SERENADE: (noun) a complimentary performance of instruments or vocals, especially an outside performance.

POSTCARD: (noun) a small commercially printed card, generally used to send by mail.

STUB: (noun) the returned portion of a ticket

PROGRAM: (noun) a listing of performers or pieces in a performance.

PHOTOGRAPH: (noun) a picture usually produced by a camera.
MEMENTOS: (noun) item or items usually kept to remind someone of a particular event or person.

SOUVENIR :(noun) generally a small inexpensive item purchased to remember a certain place.

************************************************************************************
Fill in the blanks with the above words:

I am travelling in a beautiful city. I was walking around the center of town and was ______________ by the musicians as they sang for their lunch money. I find a cafe and can finally sit to write out my _____________ to my family and friends. I can't wait to tell them about the play I saw last night. I reached into my pocket to get my ticket ____________. I want to spell the actors name correctly. The _______ didn't help me, but wait I have the ______________for the performance. All the information I need! I have to remember to pick up _____________ for my friends, maybe I 'll find a snow globe, or magnets. I can't believe that my camera broke, I wanted to have _______________ of this trip. Maybe I'll buy a camera. That could be my _______________of this wonderful vacation!


















1 comment: