Monday, February 1, 2010

Thinking....

I have been thinking, and thinking about this blogging assignment. I want to do something that I will actually use in the future with an ESL class, and I want to enjoy the process. My assumption is, if I enjoy it, my students will too. I came upon the idea of using music somehow. I feel that music is a universal element that all cultures have. The music may not come from an Ipod, but may simply be a voice, and hand clapping.

I live with a teenager, and am acutely aware that the music I listened to back in the day greatly varies from today's top hits. I am going to base this blog for the middle school experience. I will now have to rummage in my mind for the music that I listened to in sixth through eighth grade.
I do recall that the songs had a storyline...not merely screaming, or trash talk.

My plan is to write out the lyrics, and highlight phrases, or words that my students may be unfamiliar with. Their assignment would be to choose a song and try to express the gist of the tune in English, and if the student was a bit more proficient transcribe the song from their home language into English.

Now to think of some songs.....

1 comment:

  1. I really like the theme you have going with songs and pictures. Songs, being a form of poetry, are good to become familiar with as forms of literature. These songs can also be played in the classroom and give them new meaning to your students rather than just words.

    ReplyDelete