Sunday, March 7, 2010

Mr Roger's



Lately I've been thinking about television shows, and how influential they are on children. My children don't watch too many programs, and the ones they love we usually watch as a family. Some of the cartoons are a bit over the top for me, and I was remembering some of the programming from my childhood. Granted the program that I chose isn't a middle school show, but it did influence my television viewing as I grew up. I have always loved shows about neighborhoods, and how people within a community influence one another. Perhaps this show had an impact on my lifelong television pleasure. The show is called Mister Roger's Neighborhood. The theme song follows: (to listen and watch click on the bottom of my blog)


It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood,

A beautiful day for a neighbor.

Would you be mine?

Could you be mine?...


It's a neighborly day in this beauty wood,

A neighborly day for a beauty.

Would you be mine?

Could you be mine?...


I've always wanted to have a neighbor just like you.

I've always wanted to live in a neighborhood with you.


So lets make the most of this beautiful day.

Since were together we might as well say:

Would you be mine?

Could you be mine?

Won't you be my neighbor?

Won't you please?

Won't you please?

Please won't you be my neighbor?


Won't you be my neighbor

By Fred M. Rogers


************************************************************************************

What programs do you watch? Did you have a favorite show as a child?

************************************************************************************
Grammar point:

Write out the theme song from a favorite program. Highlight all plural nouns in green, all adverbs in blue, and all adjective in yellow. Make a collection of all the rhyming words, if any.

***********************************************************************************

WOOD: lumber

WOULD: verb form of will

CHILDHOOD: the period in life when one is a child

NEIGHBORHOOD: the area or vicinity around a place

COMMUNITY: a social group of any size whose members live in a specific area

INFLUENCE: the capacity to have force on a person

PLEASURE: enjoyment or satisfaction

***********************************************************************************

What is the difference between a neighborhood, and a community? Where would you rather live, and why?

************************************************************************************
Fill in the blanks.

Mary moved the other out of her ___________________ home. All of the memories of growing up there have flooded her mind. She remembers with ________________ taking long bike rides with friends, going to the movies on a Saturday night, and the ______________ a warm summer breeze could have on a stroll to the park. _________________ she miss her __________________. You bet! Now she is off to a new ___________, and her own apartment. She will have to paint the ______________ of her doorway, and walls. but she is looking forward to the challenge, and making new memories.

2 comments:

  1. Mister Rogers was a very positive program for children, though I hardly ever watched it.

    I like the highlighting activity and the use of his song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember watching Mr. Rogers with intrigue and enjoyment. My mother said the show used to make her sleepy when my brother or I would watch it, but I always liked it.

    ReplyDelete