Wednesday, April 28, 2010

by heart



I've been thinking about songs that I know by heart. There aren't many. Of course there is the traditional Happy Birthday, but beyond that all I can do is mumble and hum many snippets of songs. Throughout this entire blog I have been inspired by songs, or situations that reminded me of songs. I have found the song somewhere online, and written them out verbatim. But today I am going to wing it. Yes, I am taking the bull by the horns and am going to write a song out from memory. I do recall that when desperate and I needed a lullaby this was one of my go to songs.

It is called Jingle Bells.

Jingle bells

Jingle bells

Jingle all the way

Oh what fun

it is to ride in a one horse open sleigh.

Dashing through the snow

on a one horse open sleigh

dashing over hills

laughing all the way.

Bells on bobtails sing

making spirits bright

la la la la la la la

la la all the night.

Well I got close. And after rereading it, I'm not sure about the bells on bobtail section. I don't think that makes sense. Any thoughts?

*************************************************************************************

Grammar Point:

What is onomatopoeia? Is there an example in the above song? Write down ten other examples, and use them in a story.

*************************************************************************************

Definitions:

Know by heart: an expression used to show that you know every aspect of something

Snippet: a small piece

Verbatim: when something is repeated word for word

Wing it: when you try without practice

Bull by the horns: to take control of a situation

One horse open sleigh: a large sled, usually big enough for two people that is pulled by a horse over snow and ice.

*************************************************************************************

FILL IN THE SENTENCES USING THE ABOVE DEFINITIONS.


1. She told me a _____________ of the story. I can't wait to hear the rest.

2. We went to an ice festival last winter and took a ride in a _____ ____ ____ ____ .

3. I love that song! I ____ ____ ___ ____ .

4. I am sure I can sing it _______ .

5. She wasn't sure how to do her homework. I told her to ____ _____ .

6. She took the ___ __ ____ ______ , and emailed the teacher with questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment