Monday, April 26, 2010

The boys of summer are back. I love baseball. When I was younger I used to go to Shea Stadium and watch, and occasionally meet the players. One day my friend and I were riding the elevator and Daryl Strawberry stepped in with us. Believe me it was very exciting to chat with him. Imagine if Derrick Jeter rode a few floors with you! I don't get to as many professional games anymore, but I do get to the ball fields. I am lucky enough to have three budding fans to watch, and they are all in my family. I love little league!





There is a great song by John Fogarty that I love to listen to, and it is always played on the radio as opening day arrives. It is called Centerfield.

Well, beat the drum and hold the phone-the sun came out today!

We're born again, there's new grass on the field.

A'roundin' third and headed for home, it's a brown-eyed handsome man.

Anyone can understand the way I feel.


Chorus:

Oh, put me in coach- I'm ready to play today;
Put me in coach- I'm ready to play today;
Look at me I can be Centerfield.


Well I spent some time in the Mudville Nine, watchin it from the bench;

You know I took some lumps when Mighty Casey struck out.

So Say Hey Willie, tell Ty Cobb and Joe DiMaggio;

Don't say "it ain't so", you know the time is now

Repeat Chorus

Yeah! I got it, I got it!

Got a beat-up glove, a homemade bat, and a brand -new pair of shoes;

You know I think it's time I give this game a ride.

Just hit the ball, and touch them all- a moment in the sun;

(pop) It's gone and you can tell that one goodbye!

**********************************************************************************


Grammar Point
Choose your favorite sport. Use 10 adverbs to descibe the action in the sport.

Think of 10 nouns that can be used within the sport.


***********************************************************************************


Definitions:


Elevator: machine that goes up and down between floors of a buliding

Little League: baseball teams for young children

Opening day: the first day of the new baseball season

Coach: the "teacher" of a team. plyers have to listen to their coach to play their best

Mudville-Nine: a minor league team. Players who are very good, just not professional yet

Say Hey Wiilie: a nick name for Wiilie Mays, a great player

Ty Cobb and Joe DiMaggio: other great baseball players

**********************************************************************************

Fill in the blanks with the above definitions.

1.The _______ ________ players must listen to their ____________ for advice.


2. Players and fans hope for sunshine on _________ _________ .


3. Children dream of playing as well as _______ _________ , _________ ________, and


__________ _________ one day.


4. I wonder if kids dream of playing for the Yankees, Mets or the ________ _________ .


5. The _____________ is a great place to meet baseball players!
















No comments:

Post a Comment